Ninfa asked me to get rap music for his nephew, Kyle. Now, while I may have eclectic taste for music, I can endure pop songs but can not take heavy metal and rap music. My rap knowledge stops with Ice-ice baby of vanilla Ice. I don't like Andrew E but I like Francis M. Hanggang dun na lang.
So, as a good friend, I followed orders. Walked in a music store in the Jordan Creek Mall and looked at RAP. There were many racks for rap. Looked at the CD covers, maybe something may excite me...(I got to know Velvet Underground and the Cure just by looking at the cover- and I like their music). There were a handful of rap artists that I recognize- Will Smith being one of them. Saw his launch at the Today show and took note of the criticism that his rap music may not be too rap for others.
So under intense time pressure, (mall was to close at 9 pm and it was already 8:45-besides, my tita's friends were all waiting for me.) asked the seller and a nice looking but too young to be papable who was looking at rap music, "What rap CD would you recommend for a 12-year old or so boy that would not get the ire of the parents?". "Geez.", they answered, "thats a difficult question because rap is laden with profanity." They suggested that I might want to look at the EDITED Cd's. Ano ba yun???? THe safest they suggested was to go with Will Smith. The store guy told me I could scan the CD and listen to some cuts.
I didn't want to jump with Will Smith at once because he might not be too mainstream for heavy rappers. Scanned some CD's, tried to listen to it- But there was no music- because it might not be suited for kids!!! Ha!
So ended up with Will Smith anyway. Hope Kyle will be happy.
What music are you listening to, now?
1 comment:
Good for people to know.
Post a Comment